Manage the Flow
- Encourage everyone to speak by asking for participation, “Anyone else?” “What do you think of that?” “Anyone want to answer that question?”
- Encourage participants to speak to each other, not to you, by glancing at others if someone is addressing you, saying “tell them.”
- Keep alert to all parts of the room
- Call on everyone who wants to talk, not just the most verbal or those most aggressive in getting noticed
- If one person or a few people are dominating the discussion, say something like “we want to let everyone have a chance to speak.”
- Discourage side conversations by saying to the person who is trying to speak something like “what you have to say is important, why don’t you wait until everyone can hear you.”
Here are some hints that will help you have a meaningful discussion.